What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India is looking to hire a Urban Economist (8 to 10 years of relevant work experience) with experience working on studies related to urban economics and/or regional development. The ideal candidate will have considerable domain knowledge and experience in the areas of urban and regional economics, economic geography and data analytics. The chosen candidate will work closely with WRI India’s Urban Development team, comprising a diverse range of experts in the field of urban and regional planning, GIS / remote sensing and environmental sustainability. The primary endeavor of this team is to inform policies, plans and projects at the national, regional and local levels - to shape the urban expansion of Indian cities, by balancing the objectives of environmental sustainability with equitable economic development.
• Be the focal point for all aspects of economic analyses for the team. Be able to provide economic insight to the strategy, research and analytical studies conducted by the team.
• Identify, collate and develop macro-economic datasets related to India’s urban economic expansion. Lead the statistical analysis of these datasets to identify trends and economic insights.
• Prepare presentations, analytical reports and research papers to succinctly capture economic insights for the dissemination of these findings to relevant stakeholders.
• Participate in external meetings, roundtable discussions and conferences and represent organizational interests.
• Work closely with the GIS / remote sensing team members to develop economic insights from spatial data. Work closely with regional planning team members to develop policy positions on sustainable economic expansion including the conceptualization of macro level spatio-economic plans and local economic development plans.
• Support supervisor on various activities related to strategy development, institutional reporting, work advancement and fund-raising.
• Be able to take on assignments that require a fair amount of travel in India and internationally.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Master’s Degree (or higher) in Economics
• 8 to 10 years of relevant work experience, advancing studies on regional economics, economic geography, development economics or environmental economics
• Strong domain knowledge in economic theory and tools, such as GDP forecasting, growth estimation, input-output tables, shift-share, location quotient, etc.
• Demonstrated experience of generating powerful insights from voluminous data; with a mastery over statistics, indices, econometrics, modelling and testing scenarios.
• Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel tools, with a command over functions, formulae, filters, pivot tables, charts, merging datasets, validating datasets, etc.
• Be able to take on the responsibilities described above with a high level of independence.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: Full-time regular
Location: New Delhi, India
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.