What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
The Person We Are Looking For
WRI is seeking a creative and multi-talented candidate for position of Manager to undertake studies on urban development and policy reforms in its WRI India office. Reporting to the Director, Urban Development, you will lead projects and research work that will influence positive transformation of urban areas in the country. The projects will include working with governments, professionals, private sector, civic groups and other stakeholders to formulate the urban planning and urban design interventions focused on solving the problems in a city and can be scaled-up in other contexts. You will consider issues of sustainable development, around socio-economic and environmental well-being of the people as basic approach to solve the problems. You will engage with governments and private stakeholders to collect base material and details to help towards conducting project work.
WRI globally, has deep experience in urban development and is widely recognized as a leader in promoting sustainable cities. Currently, WRI India is helping various government and private agencies undertake research on best practices and innovation in integrated planning, development and management of cities. The urban development projects you will lead and be involved in will help further these goals.
WRI India is seeking a Manager for the Urban Development program for Mumbai, Hyderabad and Bengaluru under WRI India Ross Center for Sustainable Cities. The candidate should be passionate about Indian urban development and self-driven towards influencing positive change in the real world. The candidate will be involved in leading the work on assigned projects related to integrated planning. This includes conducting research, liaising with partners, government agencies and experts, undertaking analysis and synthesise solutions towards project deliverables. The candidate will develop deep understanding of the local urban development context and help identify impactful positive changes that need to be achieved in the context of current urbanization. The candidate should be hands-on and equally good in conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis, prepare clearly written reports and communication material. The candidate should be energetic and agile, willing to respond quickly, outcome-oriented, team player, willing to travel at short notice and able to engage with partners and stakeholders. The Manager will also assist the Urban Development team identify opportunities, levers and set the agenda in the cities of engagement, across other projects or program as relevant.
Co-ordination of project work
- Manage and lead all the project deliverables related work as per standards and expectations of WRI India.
- Prepare technical documents for projects including data collection, conduct surveys, compilation, analysis, write reports and develop presentations.
- Coordinate with State and Local government agencies, private companies, local communities, experts, NGOs etc. to get inputs for projects.
- Edit reports, prepare drawings, general graphics and infographics, etc.
- Support WRI India in identifying and undertaking new research areas and projects related to urban development as required by the team.
Communications and partnership
- Communicate closely with WRI India internal team members towards meeting objectives of the project and constant progress reporting.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings regarding projects, make presentations and assist in conducting stakeholder consultations.
- Contribute to internal and external communications and media such as blogs, articles, brochures and web content.
- Lead development of process guides, toolkits and or support adapt existing ones
- Incorporate and support attention to gender and poverty.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Post-graduation in urban studies/ urban planning/ economic development/ urban and infrastructure planning/ public policy/ or related field.
- Minimum Master’s degree and 10 years of full-time work experience in relevant field, with experience in project formulation and management.
- Familiarity with Indian urban development paradigms, policies, general awareness of environment and climate change.
- Comfort in quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work both individually and alongside a team; also, ability to enthusiastically work under short deadlines and deliver quality work.
- Willing to travel.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: Full-time regular
Location: New Delhi/Bengaluru/Hyderabad
Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.