International Consultant for Urban Transport Regulations
Location : Homebased and Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA
Application Deadline : 26-May-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Management
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 30-May-2019
Duration of Initial Contract : 5 working days between 30 May - 30 June 2019
Expected Duration of Assignment : 5 working days between 30 May - 30 June 2019
The transport sector has become one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions as well as air pollution in Cambodia. Rapid urbanization has also led to a growing demand for improved mobility and transport. The project is supportive of the government's efforts in rehabilitating and developing transport infrastructure as reflected in the Government Rectangular Strategy and to the priorities set forth in the Phnom Penh Master Plan 2035.
The objective of the Sustainable Urban Mobility for All Initiative (SUMAI) project is to improve availability and quality of transport data in Phnom Penh to guide decisions on transport investments and policies that are in line with sustainability objectives. In pursuit of this objective, the project would focus its interventions to support:
- Improving efficiency of existing urban traffic and transport system through generation of traffic and air quality data in Phnom Penh;
- Reducing urban transport GHG emission through promotion of clean vehicles and fuels measures;
- Stimulating innovations in smart transport solutions to accelerate progress on safety and mobility for all.
Viewed as a catalytic investment, the project would provide the means to plan and improve the present urban traffic and transport systems through the generation of data on traffic and air quality in the city to guide policy and regulatory decisions. The intended impact would be better-informed policies and investment decisions in support of sustainable and smart urban transport solutions.
The project has three outputs as below.
Output 1: MPWT's capacity in traffic management and urban transport planning reinforced
Output 2: Air pollution monitoring and clean fleet management solutions applied
Output 3: Innovative urban transport solution launched
Duties and Responsibilities
The SUMAI project has undertaken stakeholder mapping of private, public and non-governmental actors involved in urban transport planning and management in Phnom Penh. Subsequently, the project also conducted preliminary capacity needs assessment of relevant departments of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport on urban transport planning.
Under the General Department of Land Transportation, the Department of Urban Public Transport is a relatively new department focused on urban transport planning and policies. Amidst increasing modernization of the country, there are increasing needs for governing urban transport sector too. Hence, the SUMAI project is planning to support the Department of Urban Public Transport at MPWT primarily along with other relevant departments develop their capacity on formulating regulations.
The SUMAI project is looking for a consultant with extensive proven experiences in supporting the ministries of Cambodia on formulating regulations and laws. The relevant ministries shall be but not limited to the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, Phnom Penh City Hall, Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Environment as well as any applicable provincial bodies.
Towards the above-mentioned objective, the Consultant is expected to perform the following specific tasks:
- Review of urban transport related regulations in the region and disseminate the same to the participants.
- Deliver training session on process of regulation development and drafting, evaluation methods including cost-benefit analysis and impact assessments as it relates to evaluation and drafting of regulations, structure and language to be adapted in drafting regulation.
- Facilitate working group sessions on potential issues to be included in the regulation.
- Post-training support to the government department in finalizing the regulations.
Important Notice: Interested offeror must read the Individual Consultant (IC) Procurement Notice, which can be viewed at http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=55609 for more detail information about term of references, instructions to offeror, and to download the documents to be submitted in the offer through online.
- Up to date with new developments, concepts and theories in regulation drafting in Southeast Asia, preferably, Cambodia
- Persuasive, convincing or influencing abilities
- Works with a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Results orientation
- High standards of integrity, gender sensitivity, age sensitivity, discretion and confidentiality
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
Required Skills and Experience
Education: At least Master's (preferably, PhD) in a discipline relevant to Law, Public Policy, Engineering, Social Sciences or other fields highly relevant to regulatory development.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in dealing with regulations, policies and/ or laws with ministries in developing countries in Southeast Asia
- Minimum of 2 years experience in supporting ministries in developing countries in drafting regulations and laws
- Experiences in the areas of urban development, urban transport, infrastructure planning in Southeast Asia are highly preferred.
- Solid understanding of government structures, processes and mechanisms, preferably, in urban transport planning in developing countries, preferably, in Cambodia
- Strong understanding of regulations around evolving business models in urban transport in Southeast Asia
- Minimum of 1 year experience providing training on drafting regulations and laws
- Experience working with multilateral organizations and the UN system preferred.
Language Requirement: Fluency in English is required.
Interested offeror must read the Individual Consultant (IC) Procurement Notice, which can be viewed at http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=55609 for more detail information about term of references, instructions to offeror, and to download the documents to be submitted in the offer through online.
UNDP reserves right to reject any applications that is incomplete.
Please be informed that we don't accept application submitted via email.
Interested Offerors are required to submit application via UNDP jobsite system as the application screening and evaluation will be done through UNDP jobsite system. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file. Your online applications submission will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided. If you do not receive an email acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. Please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
Any request for clarification/additional information on this procurement notice shall be communicated in writing to UNDP office or send to email email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org. While the Procurement Unit would endeavor to provide information expeditiously, only requests receiving at least 5 working days prior to the submission deadline will be entertained. Any delay in providing such information will not be considered as a reason for extending the submission deadline. The UNDP's response (including an explanation of the query but without identifying the source of inquiry) will be posted in Individual Consultant (IC) Procurement Notice page as provided above. Therefore, all prospective Offerors are advised to visit the page regularly to make obtain update related to this Individual Consultant (IC) Procurement Notice.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.