Reference Number: 180629
Position Level: IS 3/4
Department: Southeast Asia Department
Division: Urban Development and Water Division, SERD
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018
Closing Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions.
Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. AS to NS or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first performance review after staff has completed at least one full year in the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new position.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Urban Development and Water Division (SEUW) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client orientation and delivering ADB assistance to countries in Southeast Asian region. SEUW supports policy development, knowledge management, budget management, project quality assurance, sector analytical work and loan and technical assistance processing, and administration in the urban development and water sectors, specifically, urban and rural water supply services; urban and rural sanitation and wastewater management; climate change and urban resilience; and urban planning, development and management.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Urban Development Specialist will support the SEUW team in sector programming, project processing, project planning, and administration. The incumbent will report to the Director of SEUW and may supervise one or more National and Administrative Staff.
- Analyze urban development trends in Southeast Asia, and provide policy support to ADB's developing member countries (DMCs) on national and regional urban development strategies;
- Identify, develop, design, process, and implement projects in water supply, sanitation, flood control and drainage, and other urban services for project financing by ADB;
- Ensure that thematic issues in project design climate change, environment, gender, and social development, governance, and finance are incorporated in projects
- As a team member, provide inputs to project teams in designing projects that consider long term institutional effectiveness, as well as intergovernmental fiscal transfers, municipal and/or utility finance, and financial and economic analysis of projects;
- Lead teams to administer projects, engage contractors through different procurement methods, administer construction operation and maintenance contracts;
- Participate and support knowledge and thematic work to support delivery of urban development and water projects; and
- Support in the identification and development of advance technologies for application to the urban sector in the region.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree in, or equivalent, in Civil or Environmental Engineering, or related fields including Planning. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered;
- Minimum of 6-8 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- With knowledge and understanding of ADB operational processes and procedures
- Able to undertake background research and analysis on difficult but well-defined tasks; collect and organize required data and information; apply appropriate computer skills in analyzing and developing the data; and prepare notes, papers and sections of reports
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding of the interactions between different ADB work areas and relevant workflows and their purposes
- Possesses good analytical thinking with ability to make simple causal links, pro-and-con lists and analyses to reach a decision; and set priorities for tasks in order of importance
- Demonstrates proficiency in ADB standard software programs and information technologies
- Able to liaise and work effectively with staff within own work location, and can work collaboratively with teams
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.