What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
WRI India is seeking an EPP for the Urban Development strategy under WRI India Ross Center for Sustainable Cities. The candidate needs to be passionate about Indian urban development and self-driven towards influencing positive change in the real world. The EPP will be involved in research on various topics related to work area of integrated planning. This includes case studies to help identify best practices that can be scaled-up or learnings that can be applied in other contexts. The EPP will help conduct deep analysis of case studies and arrive at learnings documented in the form of reports and communication material. The EPP need to be equally good in conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis, need to prepare clearly written reports and communication material. The EPP need to be energetic and agile, willing to learn and respond quickly, outcome oriented, team player, available to travel at short notice, ability to engage with partners and stakeholders are essential characteristics. The EPP will also assist Urban Development team in various other projects or tasks as required time to time.
Indian cities are undergoing high pace of urbanization growth and development of infrastructure to serve the existing and future inhabitants continues to be major challenge. Such fast pace urban development is also expected to pose immense challenge on sustainability of the cities. There is urgent need to identify and learn from practices which have worked well in uplifting lives of people while also helped preserve the environment. Case studies ofsuch current practices their advantages and disadvantages need to be analysed and propagated.
WRI is seeking a creative and multi-talented candidate for position of Early Professional Program (EPP) to undertake studies on urban development and policies in its WRI India office. Reporting to the Lead Urban Development you will lead preparation of comprehensive and compelling case studies that will help governments, professionals and other stakeholders to understand best practices that can be scaled-up in other contexts. You will consider structural and transformative changes induced by the projects/ programs towards sustainable development. Issues around socio-economic and environmental well being would be considered as basis of the assessment. You will engage with governments and stakeholders to collect base material and details to help towards conducting the studies.
WRI globally, has deep experience in urban development and is widely recognized as a leader in promoting sustainable cities. Currently, WRI India is helping various government and private agencies to incorporate best practices and innovation in planning, development and management of cities. The case studies will help to further the goal.
Co-ordination of project work
- Preparing technical documents for the projects including data collection, conduct surveys, compilation, analysis, prepare reports and presentations.
- Coordination with State and Local government agencies, private companies, local communities, experts, NGOs etc. to get inputs for the projects.
- Editing reports, preparation of drawings, general graphics and info graphics, etc.
- Support WRI India in any other research or projects related to urban development related areas.
Communications and partnership
- Communicate closely with WRI India internal team members to towards meeting objectives of the project and constant progress reporting.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings regarding projects, make presentations and assist in conducting stake holder consultations.
- Support the preparation of internal and external communications and media such as brochures and web content.
- Support development of process guides, toolkits and or support adapt existing ones
- Incorporate and support attention to gender and poverty
Qualifications and Requirements
- Post-graduation in urban studies/ urban and infrastructure planning/ governance/ environmental sciences/ related fields
- Minimum 2 years of full-time work experience in relevant field, with experience in research, responsible for project deliverables
- Familiar with Indian urban development paradigms, policies, general awareness of environment and climate change
- Comfortable in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is a requirement.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is a requirement.
- Strong writing skills, ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work individually and with the team and enthusiastically work under pressure situations
Salary and Benefits
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: Full-time regular
Location: Preferably Mumbai, or Bengaluru, India
Start date: 1st February 2019
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI's policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI's global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.