Consultant – Urban Transport & Road Safety – Sustainable cities & Transport
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Position Overview: WRI India is looking for a bright, hardworking urban designer/planner to join our Urban Transport team in Mumbai. This individual will primarily perform design activities on urban road projects, traffic projects and perform accident data analysis. The individual will also work on research assignments in Transit Oriented Development and may also be required to assist other departments as needed. The successful candidate will work closely with his/her supervisor.
- Perform design tasks, plans preparation, report & presentations and calculations for various urban transportation and road safety projects.
- Perform cost estimates, quantity estimates and specifications.
- Conduct and coordinate primary & secondary surveys and accident data collection.
- Check calculations, reports and drawings.
- Working knowledge of Auto CADD is preferred.
- Troubleshoot barriers to progress and identify opportunities for rapid success.
Key attributes & credentials
- Experience in Urban Design, Urban Planning & Traffic and Transportation Engineering/ Planning projects
- Familiar with primary surveys, design of roads, intersections, accident data collection & analysis etc.
- Urban traffic safety viz., pedestrian and vehicular safety
- Strong organizational and verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent academic performance and strong analytical capability.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly both orally and in writing, with excellent demonstrated skills in English.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; experience managing complex processes or projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build a strong network of professional relationships.
- Comfort working with staff at all levels of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and to juggle multiple assignments with little supervision.
- 2-5 years' experience in Consultancy firms/ Urban Local Bodies/ Regional Authority
- Master's degree in urban design/Urban Planning/Transportation Planning
Duration: 1 Year
Location: Mumbai, India
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI's policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI's global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.
Source: UN Jobs
This article is culled from daily press coverage from around the world. It is posted on the Urban Gateway by way of keeping all users informed about matters of interest. The opinion expressed in this article is that of the author and in no way reflects the opinion of UN-Habitat.