The main mandate of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is to promote the sustainable development of human settlements and policies conducive to adequate housing for all. In this framework, UN-Habitat supports central governments, local authorities and their partners for the implementation of the Habitat Programme and the Millennium Development Goals. The latter aims to significantly improve the lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers by the year 2020.
UN-HABITAT helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer, healthier, greener places with better opportunities where everyone can live with dignity. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development.
Having the Regional Office based in Rio, the Agency would like to put more emphasis in the developing and managing activities in the host country, Brazil, hence this Vacancy Announcement for a National Officer Brazil.
The National Officer reports to the head of a unit or to a Senior Human Settlements Officer in charge of Brazil.
She/he will assist with the planning, development, management, promotion and coordination of normative and operational activities related to urban development in Brazil. The incumbent is expected to assist in the design, advice and implementation of relevant strategies and projects in collaboration with different branches, aligned with UN- Habitat's mission, objectives and thematic areas according to institutional parameters in Brazil. Establishes and maintains a good working relationship with Brazilian counterparts, officers and technical staff in the relevant Secretariat Units and UN funds, programmes and other UN specialized agencies, representatives and officials in national and local governments of Brazil, nongovernmental organizations and consultants.
The National Officer will work with the Senior Human Settlements Officer in charge of Brazil in:
- Assisting in providing technical and management support in Human Settlements analysis, needs assessments and other activities and Participating in advisory missions to carry out consultations.
- Assisting in ensuring an effective and efficient execution of projects and programmes by providing appropriate technical support to projects through project design, field visits, coordination and monitoring activities related to one of the following areas: effective advocacy, monitoring and partnership, participatory urban planning, management and governance, land and housing, environmentally sound urban infrastructure and services and strengthened human settlements finance systems.
- Assisting in the strengthening of inter-branch collaboration to achieve better linkages between normative and operational support to better coordinate and support the implementation of the organization’s work programme.
Professionalism: Experience in working with inter-institutional areas, assisting in project management and monitoring-evaluation; experience in establishing local and national partnerships; demonstrated experience in local administration, decentralisation, municipal support and training; approaches and strategies with regard to good urban governance and local development; knowledge and experience of working with Brazilian national and/or local administrations.
Planning and organization: Ability to work with responsibility and under minimal supervision; proven organizational skills and ability to manage a workload efficiently and within set deadlines.
Communication: Ability to write clearly and effectively; listen to others, interpret messages correctly and respond appropriately; show openness in information sharing and keep everyone informed; solid abstract reasoning skills together with a proven capacity to write documents for diverse audiences.
Team work: Ability to work with teams, demonstrate leadership, conflict management and consensus facilitation skills; ability to work in a multicultural and multi-ethnic environment, and to respect diversity; sensitivity to the main-streaming of vulnerability; willingness and ability to work in difficult environments.
Education and skills
- University and degree in international relations, urban and regional planning, economics or other relevant area.
- Knowledge of computer programmes such as Word, Spreadsheet, e-mail and internet search functions.
At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in relation to human settlements projects and programmes management. Previous experience within the UN System would be an asset.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, excellent command in oral and written English and Spanish is required and knowledge of Portuguese will be an advantage.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The candidates must be Brazilian nationals.
See UN website: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/index.html